While I tend to think of myself as an optimist, and I understand the point of the the question, “do you see the glass as half empty or half full?” I also realize that it can very helpful to see the question in a different light.
- What is the liquid in the glass? Wine, beer, diet coke, water, soup, motor oil?
- Why is the container only half full and is there a way to fill it to the rim?
- How much of it do I actually need anyway?
- If this is what I have, what can do with it that moves things further?
- If I don’t really need it, who else can put it good use?
Does this make me a pessimist or an optimist or a pragmatist with a slightly optimistic outlook?
Does anyone else out there look at this question the same way?
By the way, 11 people have signed up for Friday’s Leadership Lunch and Learn, room for more. I’ll be reviewing The Power of Full Engagement, a great book about managing your energy, instead of your time. Join me and the other learner/leaders on Friday.