Why Rock & Sand?
- When your lightbulb goes on, you feel excited because you know how to address the opportunity in front of you. You fully understand the challenge and have clarity. You gain confidence, which turns into traction, which then leads to growth. It’s a flywheel that rolls through your entire organization.
- When your lightbulb goes on, I feel immensely satisfied. The ideas I’ve presented, the tools I’ve used, and the decisions I’ve facilitated have moved you forward and unleashed growth. Personal, Professional, and Business Growth.
My expertise lies in Strategic Thinking, Leadership, Talent Development, Profitability, and Customer Engagement. Although I advise on it, Execution of your decisions lie with you. As a coach, I can’t suit up and enter the game. I rely on the Rock & Sand Model™ (based on my book of the same name) to get started on Strategy and Execution and then use tools developed from experts and experience which are proven to work to address the rest.
I’ve been a teacher coach my entire life, first as high school teacher and coach, then as a business executive and for the past twenty I’ve taught and coached business and non profit leaders. It’s how I create success, teaching and coaching others to improve and grow. Learn More below.
How it Works
- I’m flexible enough to work with you the way you want to work. Most often it involves working with your team, sometimes it’s better to work one on one.
- We’ll establish your starting point which is your unique set of challenges and opportunities and how we might tackle them. I’ll be asking a lot of questions. So will you.
- Sometimes it’s a tune up, addressing a specific situation; sometimes it’s an annual engagement or a retreat, where we create and execute a Baseline Growth Roadmap; sometimes its a tune up and then move to a Baseline Growth Roadmap.
- With the addition of The School Rock & Sand, the way forward could also be a class or a series of classes, and something I call “Ride-Along Coaching” where you take a class or two and I do regular check-ins to answer questions, tweak results, and keep you on task.
Rock & Sand (TM)
Rock & Sand is both the title of my book and the name of my practice. Rock & Sand is also a model, a language, and a starting point that serves as “The Bridge Between Strategy and Action” for an organization. It uncovers opportunities and the means for acting on them, while creating the team alignment necessary for unleashing growth.
I’ve been a strategy coach for over 19 years, and during that time I’ve been a member of Gazelles International and then Gravitas Impact Premium Coaches, and now totally on my own. I have worked primarily and successfully with Mid-Market and Small Market CEOs and Owners, as well as with non profit organizations.. My engagements have resulted in clearer paths forward and with it substantial and sustainable growth.
Anything by Jim Collins: Built to Last, Good to Great, How the Mighty Fall, Great by Choice, his monographs
Anything by Pat Lencioni: Five Dysfuctions of a Team, Death by Meetings, The Ideal Team Player, The Truth About Employee Engagement, Naked Consulting, and now, The Motive
On Leadership: The Leadership Challenge by Kouzes and Posner, Multipliers by Liz Wiseman, Nine Lies About Work by Marcus Buckingham
On Sales: Baseline Selling by Dave Kurlan, To Sell is Human by Daniel Pink, SPIN Selling by Neil Rackham, Selling Boldly by Alex Goldfayn
On Marketing: The Inside Advantage by Bob Bloom, Buyer Persona by Adell Revella, Duck Tape Marketing by John Jantsch, Never Lose a Customer Again by Joey Coleman, The Cheers Model of Marketing: How to Create Customers as Loyal as Norm Peterson by Michael Synk 😉
On Profitablity: The Great Game of Business by Jack Stack, Get In The Game, by Rich Armstrong, Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits by Greg Crabtree
On People: TopGrading by Brad Smart, Who: The A Method For Hiring, Geoff Smart, Everybody Matters Raj Sisodia, Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink
On Strategy: Rock & Sand by Michael Synk 😉 The Infinite Game and Start With Why by Simon Sinek. Rockefeller Habits by Verne Harnish
Others that are hard to categorize: The Ultimate Question by Fred Reicheld, The Curve Ahead by Dave Power
I’m available as a speaker for conferences, meetings, or other events. Download my Speaking Information Sheet for more information.
Get Practical Insights for Growing Your Business
Michael Synk’s latest book is available to ship or download today.
Rock & Sand by Michael Synk is model, a book and a school that serve as “The Bridge Between Strategy and Action” enabling you to uncover opportunities and the means for acting on them, while creating the team alignment necessary for unleashing growth.